CharacteristicsofLayLeadershipBrochure-click here to learn more about effective lay leadership from the Virginia Conference UMC.
Want to become more involved at Haygood? Do you have gifts or talents in leadership, singing, art, cooking, teaching, mission work, lawn care, or working with youth and children?
Haygood has many ministries and programs to offer that might be what you are exactly looking for! If you have any questions or want to know more about how you can become a part of one of these ministries, please contact the Church Office at 757-499-1269. Here are some of the many opportunities in which you can share your gifts of ministry with Haygood:
Church Council-helps Senior Pastor and staff provide oversight over the ministry and administrative elements of Haygood.
- Nurture, Outreach, and Witness (NOW)-Supports church programs including, but not limited to: Christian Education, Age-Level, Ministries, Worship, Missions, Communications and Publicity, Prayer Ministry, Congregation Care and more!
- Finance, Trustees, or Staff-Parish Relations-Supports the administrative leadership and organization of Haygood and its relationships with the District and Conference United Methodist Church.
- Lay Leadership-Encourage and nominate congregational leaders and help to foster a hospitable and caring church for the Haygood family.
Music and Worship: Help lead worship through song, performance, or behind the scenes
- Chancel Choir-sing at the 11:00am traditional worship service on Sunday mornings
- Praise Team-sing or play at the 9:30am contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings
- Hand Bell Choir-share in a unique ministry that provides music on many special occasions throughout the year
- Sanctuary Hospitality-floral arrangements, seasonal/liturgical decorations, greeters, communion stewards and more
- Children’s Music Ministries-children’s musicals, Vacation Bible School, seasonal choirs
- Worship Arts-Drama productions, sound and visual support, lighting
Missions and Service: Help out with our local mission projects or help support our work teams and missionaries
- Appalachia Service Project-summer home repair ministry for adult and youth volunteers ages 14 and older
- Food Pantry-help support our local outreach to our neighbors in the area in need of groceries
- Congregational Care/Visitation-visit our shut-ins or send cards to members of our family who are in the hospital or at home
- Children’s Clothing Exchange-Join a new and exciting ministry that helps local families provide clothing for their kids
- donated by church families and friends.
- Meals-on-Wheels-help deliver meals to shut-ins
- H.A.R.K. (Haygood’s Acts of Random Kindness)-local service projects (painting, yard work, home repair, etc..) in and around our community
- STOP Hunger NOW-put together meals that will provide food for impoverished areas around the World
- Flea Market-help cook lunch, set-up a table, or encourage the community to come support our church
- Winter Homeless Shelter-provide a meal, donate clothing or help minister to the visiting homeless community in January
Christian Education and Discipleship Ministries:
- Sunday School-teach a Sunday School class, help with curriculum
- Bible Study/Small Groups-help start or lead a Bible Study or small group centered on various topics of interest
- Prayer Ministry-help be in prayer for our congregation and encourage prayer in our community through communication, group and individual prayer
- Vacation Bible School-serve as a ‘shepherd’, be a youth leader, help with scenery, lead a station, donate supplies or snacks
- Children’s and Youth Ministries-be a chaperone youth group or youth trips/retreats, help with KNOW GOD children’s program on Wednesday nights
- Seniors Ministry-encourage fellowship opportunities for seniors and senior Sunday school classes
- United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men-participate in faith fellowship, spiritual life retreats, prayer breakfasts, mission opportunities, and a wide variety of church events and fundraisers
- Office Volunteer-help our staff with phone calls, mailings, bulletins, and more
- Lawn Care/Maintenance-help provide a safe and hospitable church home to those who worship at Haygood